Thursday, March 5, 2009

Phone Book Crafts

Photobucket

I wanted to share with you a New Etsy seller, Phone Book Crafts. Karisse is the wonderful creator behind this Eco friendly shop. She recycles things out of phone books and does it in such a classy and fun way.

She makes cards that say things like Smile, Thinking of you, and Cheer up.
Photobucket

You will also find handmade beads and scrapbook embellishments.
Photobucket


I wanted to know more about Karisse and Phone Book Crafts so here is some more fun info in her own words....


How it all began...

I have been selling online since 2000. Primarly on e-bay in the beginning. I have gone though a lot of different phases, or business niches.
I found etsy in 2008 and this is primarily where I sell now.

I have a fascination with paper crafts. I have stacks and stacks of papers that I just had to have. I have a whole bedroom dedicated to my paper crafting. It's a sickness. Sometimes I'd rather be in my room playing with my paper than at a dinner party, at the movies with friends, or spending time with my husband!

Phone book crafts is something that is new to me, but the techniques that I use are ones that I have been doing for awhile. (I have actually started a paper bead - 3-tier- topiary ... painstakingly rolling each bead and pinning it onto the base! - at the rate that I am going however, I estimate 3 .75 years until completion)

We just moved into a new condo, and there was a phone book here. We got a delivery letter to pick up something at the post office, and low and behold, it was another phone book. Then 2009 came around, and the new phone books came out.
Now I am sitting on 3 huge phone books.

I am very resourceful, and yes, I know that I can just recycle it and it will be broken down and made into other little phone books (or toilet paper!)
however, there was just something about "phone book crafts" that really appealed to me.

I am a very eco-friendly person, I was just brought up that way (props to my mother!)
I would prefer to re-use something and extend it's life before it's sent off to be melted down, smushed, pulped and made into little off-sets


Make sure you stop in her shop and take a peek! Phonebookcrafts

20 comments:

Splendid Things said...

I love those beads, very creative and unique! Thanks for sharing! Jeanette
splendidthings.etsy.com
sosplendid.blogspot.com

Lazy Bone said...

Very creative and way to go for being GREEN!

Moxie Fox said...

Such Cool Things...Luv The Beads...

bijouxdesignsforyou said...

Wow you really ARE resourceful! What a fantatic shop, so glad to have learned more about you and your craft!

Roni said...

That is so dang cool. What a great way to recycle.

KellysGifts said...

This is cool blog, my daughter is into recycling paper too. www.kellysgifts.etsy.com

thecraftbegins said...

Hey cool stuff and thanks for sharing
!

Audrey said...

And hear I thought the phone book was for looking up phone numbers! (LOL) Very cool!

Softpencil said...

Very creative and eco-friendly...it´s great!!!

maryhanks said...

Nice! It makes it hard for packrats like us because we are always thinking about ways to re-use. Fun stuff,

maryhanks said...

Nice! It makes it hard for packrats like us because we are always thinking about ways to re-use. Fun stuff,

Adrienne said...

I'm going to try some of this with my preschoolers...too fun!

cabin + cub said...

great post! cute beads!
wow... i just recycled phone books and felt so guilty...

Ellen said...

What a great idea! I have 3 big phone books right now that need to be recycled!

Tea said...

Great interview!

SleightGirl said...

Wow! What a neat idea!

golden twine said...

Thanks for sharing! What a creative idea!!

MandMStudio said...

So cute:) You are very creative

Sarah and Jon said...

Great post - such a great way to recycle phone books!

Patricia's Art said...

Cool,very creative and unique ideas ! Thanks for sharing !